SOLAS is heading into its final weekend of Christmas markets. The weather while adding a Christmas feel has definitely been a little on the chilly side of late. The good news is that the temperature on Sunday is due to reach an unseasonably warm 12 degrees which is a nice way to end the Christmas market season.
David Maher co-owner of SOLAS explains “All of the Santa dates are now effectively sold out as is the Farmers Market on Saturday and the Craft Market on Sunday. We have had rearrange a number of stall holders to allow for the very cold weather experienced at some of the evening markets. The good news is that the weekend markets are absolutely packed with a huge array of stalls. We have been able to convince ‘Sushi Mania’ to come to us this Saturday (10am-2pm) with a wonderful selection of ‘Christmas themed Sushi’ which proved to be a huge hit last year.
“The visit of a number of classes from the local primary school to see Santa is just great, and the fact the children were able to walk to and from the event is very much is keeping with our green ethos. This year has given us so many ideas of how we can build on the success to make SOLAS event better next year for both Christmas and also other seasonal events in 2023”
CHRISTMAS @ SOLAS
- Christmas Markets:
- 11am-4pm on Sunday 18th December
- 5-9pm on Thursday & Friday 15 & 16th December
- Santa is here for all this week’s markets
Thursday / Friday 15 & 16th December
- 6.30 – 8pm: Eco Friendly Christmas Present Wrapping Workshop see https://www.thegardenshop.ie/christmas-craft/
Friday 16th December
- 3-9pm Christmas sale and wine Tasting
Saturday 17th December
- 1-2pm Kids Christmas Crafts Workshop (Eco Christmas Crafts)
Sunday 18th December
- 2-3pm Come and enjoy Portarlington Christmas Carol Singers under the heaters in the Food Court
SOLAS – FOOD
There is a very strong seasonal theme to the Food menu with Turkey & Ham, German Hot Dogs and Christmas waffles all making it onto the menu.
- Thursday & Friday 5-9pm: Burgers, Hot Dogs, Waffles and Churros
- Saturday & Sunday Menu: see full menu below
Note: The heater in the Cosy café has been lowered to give a lot of closer to the customers – which has brought a much-needed boost to temperatures with the recent cold weather.
Saturday’s Farmers’ Market
- This Saturday 17th December 10am-2pm will see a very full market with a wonderful range of bakery, fresh meat, fresh Sushi from ‘Sushi Mania’. Note Santa will be on hand on the day from 11am-4pm.
Sunday’s Christmas Craft Market
- Our final Craft Markets takes place this Sunday 18th December from 11am-4pm. The Market is 100% sold out with an additional 7 stalls inside next to the Cosy café due to scale of demand.
SOLAS – Shop
Product of the week is range of indoor and outdoor lanterns with 30% off this week.
The weather forecast over the next 4 market days at SOLAS is dry and generally quite Sunny. The good news is that the cold weather will effectively end from Saturday onwards and Sunday is to be 12 degrees – perfect for our final Christmas Market. We will have our heaters running in both our indoor Cosy Café and out Outdoor food court for the duration of our opening hours each day.