To Celebrate Earth Day 2022 we are running a series of events over the coming weekend
This year Earth Day falls on Friday April 22nd and it is a great opportunity for businesses & individuals to come together to demonstrate support for environmental protection.
Earth Day was first held in April 1970 but with each passing year the event has gathered momentum & followers.
The theme for 2022 is Invest In Our Planet
So why not come along to Solas this weekend to see what changes we can all make in our day to day lives to support environmental protection. We hope that we can inspire and encourage everyone to make small steps towards a more sustainable life style
Schedule for the weekend
Litter picking with Portarlington Tidy Towns
Solas & The Garden Shop are teaming up with Laois County Council & Portarlington Tidy Towns for a litter pick up around Portarlington
This annual event has proven very successful with tens of tonnes of rubbish collected each year
We would like to extend of thanks to everyone who takes part each year in this event
This year, after the clean all volunteers are welcome back to Solas for tea & cake
Talk about sustainable living with David Maher
Children’s Craft activities: ‘I love Earth’
Free Face painting
Tree Planting Demonstration
Competition give away:!!! Plant a tree and tag us on social media, Prize for the best photo: Native Irish Tree from our Garden Centre
Music, On Sunday in our foodcourt: Stacey Dooley Soprano from Durrow
We are making changes too
– Our coffee keepcups are due to arrive this week, which will allow us to offer our customer a chance to move away from disposable cups
– Phase II of our solar panel installation is due to commence in late May 2022
– This week we are starting to grow our own herbs on site for use in our foodcourt. Only recycled materials will be used in the making of these herb planters! Pictures to Follow!!
– We are now giving away FREE Used coffee grinds to customers in our foodcourt, Ideal for mulching flower beds & keeping slugs at bay. See in store for details !!
– We are changing the way our coffee is delivered, this will cut down on packaging waste. Stay tuned for more!!