Christmas at SOLAS: A Winter Wonderland of Festive Fun
SOLAS is gearing up to become the ultimate Christmas destination with a purpose-built winter wonderland set to enchant visitors throughout the festive season. Events Manager Georgina Carey enthusiastically states, “We’ve taken last year’s success and elevated it, bringing together the very best in entertainment, sustainability, craft, and value. There’s truly no place quite like SOLAS for Christmas.”
Events @ SOLAS
- 10 am to 2 pm: The weekly Farmers Market, a haven for the finest local farm produce and crafts.
Sunday Wildflowers in Watercolour (Painting Class)
- Times: 10.30 am or 1.30 pm (Duration: 2 Hours)
- Get into the festive spirit and join Jacinta Hughes for another wildflowers in watercolour workshop.
- Suitability: Adults & Children Ages 12+ (maximum 10 people)
- Price: €20
- **Book now at www.thegardenshop.ie/painting-class/
Sunday 19th November Winter Gardening
- 12 pm: Over Wintering Vegetables – Learn all the basic principles of how to grow vegetables in your garden over winter with our expert Horticulturist Anna. (FREE event)
Winter Wonderland @ SOLAS
SOLAS Santa Experience & Winter Wonderland
- From Friday 1 December to Saturday 23 December, directly from the North Pole, Santa will be bringing his ‘Green (Plastic-Free) Christmas’ Experience to SOLAS. Tickets cost €10 each and include a gift and reindeer food. Book online.
- For Group bookings for schools or clubs, contact our Georgina at [email protected]
Christmas & Vintage Markets
- Throughout December, we will be hosting Craft and Vintage markets every Sunday and Thursday evening, with live music to get you in the festive spirit. Ideal for that perfect unique, handmade gift. Contact Georgina at [email protected] or see our Events Page.
Other Winter Wonderland Events
- Sunday 26th of November 12 pm: Christmas Wreathing making Workshop – €65
- 1 December: Post a letter to Santa in his special SOLAS Letterbox – FREE event
- Saturday 9th December: Christmas Themed Afternoon Tea €25, a range of times available at www.thegardenshop.ie/family-afternoon-tea/
- Sunday 10th of December: Chocolate Making €20, a range of times available
- Christmas Colouring Competition: See www.thegardenshop.ie/colouring-competition/
- Saturday 16th of December: Children’s Christmas Craft Workshop at www.thegardenshop.ie/christmas-craft-ideas/
- Sunday 17th December: Pop-Up Cinema Experience (Classic Christmas Movies) at www.thegardenshop.ie/pop-up-cinema/
Food @ SOLAS
To celebrate International Chicken Soup Soul Day this weekend, our head chef is busy cooking up delicious chicken noodle soup, made with ION organic Veggie Allrounder spices and oil, and served with our homemade soda bread. Don’t forget to check the lunch menu as every weekend, we have mouthwatering homemade burgers from local butcher Feighery’s Portlaoise, and midweek delicious pizza deals.
Find us daily, open Monday–Friday 10-4 pm and weekends from 10-5 pm in our heated Café & play area.
Plant of the Week – Magnolias
These ancient species prefer well-drained, neutral to acidic soil in sun or part shade. It may take several years for young magnolias to bloom, and some grow quite large, so a little research before buying will ensure you get the best magnolia to suit your needs. Plant from Oct to April, mulch in spring, and soft prune after flowering.
SOLAS – SHOP
Our Product of the week is our range of Irish Crafts & Gifts to make the perfect gift for your loved ones this Christmas, with our Irish crafts & gifts selection. At Solas, we support many Irish businesses, including local craftspeople, from handmade macrame, framed pictures, artwork, and many more to choose from. Spread happiness this Christmas by supporting each small Irish business and drop by into Solas to find your perfect gift.
The weekend weather forecast is mainly dry but a little chilly. SOLAS’s newly upgraded Food court includes 11 snugs, each with its own heaters, along with a fully heated main seating area. It’s always snug @ SOLAS.
Join us for a special winter weekend at SOLAS Eco Garden Centre, situated in Portarlington, Co. Laois R32 RPX8. We extend a warm invitation to visit us daily from 10 am to 6 pm. We can’t wait to welcome you!
SOLAS was part-funded by Laois Development Partnership Company & the EU Under the Rural Development Programme Ireland 2014-2020