SOLAS is very much in festival mode with arrival of ‘Spin City’ carnival on the 10 March for 10 days and a huge array of activities based around the St. Patrick weekend celebrations.
The Carnival is the biggest single event on the calendar here at SOLAS with up to 3,000 people a day attending. It just such a well-run and fun event and best carnival in Ireland with over 16 different rides to choose from – which is 3 more than we had last year. This weekend also sees the re-opening of the Food court for new season. Our staff are working around the clock to get everything ready – spring really is here and it all starts in SOLAS
Events @ SOLAS
Saturday 11 March
- 10am-2pm Weekly Farmers Market
- 10 days ‘Spin City’ carnival at SOLAS
- Noon Hanging Basket Workshop. Learn how to create a beautiful rustic summer hanging basket to take home & enjoy. All materials are provided, including a 12-inch rustic hanging basket
- St Patrick’s weekend Celebrations will include Irish dancing, live traditional Irish music, face painting, free children crafts and lots more….
March 19 (Mother’s Day)
- 6.30pm Sound Mediation Contact Joan 085 1218908 [email protected]
- For more details: https://ecogardenshop.ie/events/
Food Court & Cosy Cafe
This weekend the 11-12 March will see SOLAS Food Court open for the first time this year. David Maher explains “if all the things that makes SOLAS special nothing really compares to our food court – from the retractable roof, the art works, the Mediterranean feel to the space. Best of all it means a return to the Full Menu from chef Allan and the team” There is a be strong festive theme to the menu to match the party mood of the ‘Spin City’ carnival.
Double ‘Green’ Stamp – to encourage a greener world, the SOLAS loyalty card is now giving a double stamp when you bring in your own reusable takeaway cup to our cosy café.
SOLAS – PLANTS
The ‘Plant of the week’ is Cyclamen coum, which is a deciduous, perennial, winter hardy plant. Flowering time from winter up to mid spring. It is excellent for under-planting small shrubs and trees, naturalised in grass or as companion plant to hellebores and snowdrops.
SOLAS – Shop
Our Shop product of the week is Mistletoe cactus (Rhipsalis baccifera) which is a tropical plant in the cactus family that is a perfect houseplant. It prefers average to high humidity, so it’s an excellent choice for growing in well-lit kitchens and bathrooms.